Monday, January 25, 2010

A Winter Rant Turned Beauty Blog


Hello lovlies and hi there splendids. I have to say sorry for my sporadic writing.  I gave my blog a little kiss of death when I included it in a New Year's resolution.  I mean, if you enjoy something giving it a deadline is kind of a fun-sucker.  Fun-sucker aside, I have been kind of going through a bog of sorts lately.  And I don't feel bogged down, oh no, I got to keep on moving.  I just feel like the past week or two I have been slogging through some grimy mud, and my attitude is less snarky and more bitchy cynical. Bo-ring. However, thanks to a solid stretch of time with some truly fabulous women this weekend, I'm feeling fresher than The Situation.


As I have mentioned on my blog ( here, and here) this winter is really full of itself. This winter is embarrassing Al Gore.  This winter makes me agree with Kenneth Parcell when he says "Global warming? Sorry, sir, that's just scientist talk." And yet, four months and 90 (gross) inches of snow later, we still have at least three months left of this windy, dry, dry, run.  Everything is dry. Just look at this current picture of me, and you will get the idea. I am researching and compiling a list of necessary items to carry on.

Here is what I have found so far:

 Hair Care- because it's too cold not to use a hair dryer.
  •  It is hard to think about the tops of our heads when we think about moisturizing and skin care, but that's a whole lotta derm to ignore. Mix in hair styling products, blow dryers, and Colorado's climate, and whoo boy! If it were possible to use shea butter or jojoba oil directly in my hair, I would, but to my dismay (my utter delight) the emo look is finally going out. Luckily, I was recently told about Scalp Benefits shampoo from Aveda.  It moisturizes and balances the pH of your scalp as well as the roots of your hair.  In only a few uses, I can tell you this is my winter shampoo from here until I move to Hawaii -- which may very well be tomorrow. (I paired it with the Pure Abundance conditioner, so that I could still style my hair. Priorities friends.)
  •  If your issue is hair damage due to the unfortunate fate that we face: going out in the cold with wet hair means you will be rocking a head of icy dreadlocks; then you should try a heat protecting product. Aveda Damage remedy has coconut oil and quinoa protein to restructure the straw-like strands that can appear this time of year (I used to love Therma-Silk, where for art thou?).
Skin Care - even alligator skin on shoes is heinous.

  • I have taken to a bi- or tri- weekly exfoliating routine, and it's really made a big difference.  I have really sensitive skin, and so I am using a rice-based micro-foliant from Dermalogica, but I'm pretty sure that any exfoliation is good.
  • Moisturizers have me stumped. This is actually the inspiration for the entire blog post. I have consulted a few estheticians about what kind of facial moisturizers are needed for this weather and have been told that "intensive moisture" is best.  Here are three I have read reviews on here, here, and here, but ultimately I am clueless. (Tell me your favorites in the comments section).


Other Remedies


  • I have finally committed to drinking more water, and when I can't do the water I'm drinking more tea.  They say caffeine is a water usurper, and if they only knew how much coffee I drink they would probably give me a time out. Drink up.
  • I have a humidifier in our bedroom and it is a total gem. My eyes and skin love me when I remember to use it.
  • And if all else fails, blow your savings on a tropical vacation or join me in sending the National Weather Service emails asking them to turn the heat up.
P.S. I know global warming isn't a joke, but it doesn't mean I don't think it's funny to always reference it.

P.P.S. I use CFLs and ride the bus.

2 comments:

  1. Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 30!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Jules!
    As I work for the National Weather Service, I'll do all I can to turn the heat up!

    ReplyDelete